On the evening of August 21st, 1879, at roughly 8 p.m. at the Saint John the Baptist Church in Knock Ireland, there appeared in a blaze of light, the Blessed Mother, Saint Joseph and Saint John the Evangelist. The images appeared to float about two feet above the ground, hovering and occasionally moving towards the visionaries.
The Blessed Mother was clothed in white robes with a brilliant crown on Her head. Just below the rim of the crown, there was a full – bloom golden rose. She had her eyes and her hands lifted towards Heaven as she prayed. Saint Joseph was also wearing white robes. But he was facing towards the Blessed Virgin with an attitude of respect.
Saint John was on the Blessed Mother’s left side and was wearing vestments that resembled a bishop’s attire. He was wearing a mitre and holding an open book in his left hand, from which he appeared to be preaching. Behind them was a white altar with a cross and a lamb on top. There were adoring angels near the altar as well. The apparition was witnessed by fifteen people. Shortly after the apparition, miraculous healings were reported. Once word spread, the sight became a major pilgrimage destination.